Meet Curiouser Crew member Tess
Meet Tess Barnard - Colourful PhD student from Australia who has been a Curiouser Gem since 2014. We asked Tess a few questions so that you can get to know her a little bit better.
1. If you could travel anywhere – where would you go?
Back in time to meet my Mum’s mother, I believe she was a special woman and I would have loved to have known her.
2. Who is your favourite fictional character and why?
Right now it’s Mattie Ross from ‘True Grit’. She could give us all a lesson on self belief, the courage of conviction, and determination.
3. Choose 3 guests to invite for dinner…….real, fictional, celeb, you choose!!
Jane Austen, Albus Dumbledore, and my friend Janet.
4. What is your favourite thing about working at Curiouser?
The people I work with and the people I meet.
5. Choose 3 of your all-time favourite music tracks?
Not all-time favourites, but definitely mentionable : Erik Satie’s Gymnopedies piano compositions, Sufjan Stevens’s Illinois album, and Beirut - especially the Rip Tide and Gulag Orkestar albums.
6. Favourite film and why?
There are too many to mention, but today I’ll say ‘The Guard’ - Darkly comical, and I’m crushing on Brendan Gleeson!
7. Can you tell us a little bit about your background? What did you do prior to working at Curiouser?
Scotland has been my adopted home for the past 6 and a bit years, before that I lived and grew up in Australia. My background is art, and I’m currently studying for my PhD in Fine Art by practice, with a focus on printmaking.
8. What is currently your favourite product at Curiouser?
Our fabulously patterned fabric lampshades - as the days are growing colder and darker it’s nice to (literally) brighten them up.
9. Describe yourself in one word!
10. What is your favourite thing to do on a day off?
To have a slow morning, do some sewing, take a nice walk with a friend, and make a trip to Sugar Daddy’s Bakery.
11. Where is your favourite place to visit in Edinburgh?
I love a walk in the Pentlands, or anywhere by the sea.
12. You’re reincarnated as an animal – what are you?
I doubt I’d have the choice, but perhaps an albatross or a cockatoo.