Meet Alice Spicer - a dashing lady with a brilliant sense of humour and deep love of books. Alice works in our Bruntsfield shop and has worked with us for two years, read her interview to get to know her a little bit better.
1. If you could travel anywhere – where would you go?
Right now Lyon, France, because I have good friends there to drink wine with. I'd also quite like to go back to New York- I was there seven years ago and it's stayed with me .
2. Who is your favourite fictional character and why?
Torn between the demonic, alcoholic black cat Behemoth in The Master and Margarita or the slightly more cuddly and infinitely more sensible Hobbes of ‘Calvin and Hobbes’ fame ( going with a ‘feline anthropomorphism ‘ thing here…)
3. Choose 3 guests to invite for dinner…….real, fictional, celeb, you choose!
My paternal grandmother was supposedly quite like me in terms of personality and I never met her so that would be very interesting, Nicola Sturgeon because I want to know what she's actually like aside from her politics and other people's opinions on her politics, and Mark Rylance because I just want him to gently read me bedtime stories.
4. What is your favourite thing about working at Curiouser?
The people. In all honest truth the loveliest bunch I've ever had the pleasure to be employed by and with. Closely followed by being first to open book deliveries when they come in.
5. Choose 3 of your all-time favourite music tracks?
Run Boy Run- Woodkid, Every Other Freckle – Alt-J, Dear God – Lawless (current favourite)
6. Favourite film and why?
‘What We Do The Shadows’ takes some beating.
7. Can you tell us a little bit about your background? What did you do prior to working at Curiouser?
I have lived in Edinburgh since 2009, having moved up from the Deep South(Hampshire) for uni. I did a fine art degree in Aberdeen and then did an about-turn and did a master’s degree in illustration at ECA. Currently I wouldn't really call myself either a fine artist or an illustrator but I still love to draw. I've also been an artist’s model for about six years, so that other people have the chance to practice and enjoy drawing as much as I do, whilst I find a spot on the wall to stare at..
8. What is currently your favourite product at Curiouser?
The ‘And Mary’ crab pendant with gold claws. I like slightly unusual jewellery and this one is definitely right up my street as it's a bit creepy crawly and also aquatic, so what's not to love?
9. Describe yourself in one word!
10. What is your favourite thing to do on a day off?
BRUNCH! Or, to sound less sophisticated, watching YouTube videos with my other half and the cat. Reading. And drinking loads of tea. We’re pretty laid-back (the cat especially).
11. Where is your favourite place to visit in Edinburgh?
I've always had a soft spot for the museum, although I do miss the old days of the goldfish, the fountains and the dark rooms full of dead insects.
12. You’re reincarnated as an animal – what are you?
My cat, because he lives like a king. A slightly stupid, furry king...