Ian is one of Curiouser's Captains, always kind, calm and reassuring. When he's not working up in Bruntsfield he keeps the Curious wheels turning by dealing with mountains of paperwork and bringing deliveries to the shops. A fantastic person and unbelievably cool boss! He is always ready to have a meaningful conversation. Find out more about him though reading the interview below.
1. If you could travel anywhere – where would you go?
I would really like to go to India, Kerala in particular, but really all over for a long time. It is a huge country so I might need a few years ; )
2. Who is your favourite fictional character and why?
Well one of my favourite characters is George Bailey in ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’. Like me, he longs to travel but doing the right thing for other people somehow keeps getting in the way of him leaving Bedford Falls. I think that there are parallels …
3. Choose 3 guests to invite for dinner…….real, fictional, celeb, you choose!!
Well I’d have to invite three people I would love to have met – David Bowie, Louis Armstrong and Anais Mitchell. We can always talk about music and maybe have a concert!
4. What is your favourite thing about working at Curiouser?
I really enjoy meeting our customers and finding out about them and their experience of Edinburgh, whether they are visitors or locals, everyone has an interesting story to tell.
5. Choose 3 of your all-time favourite music tracks?
My three favourite tracks right now might be
Into my arms – Nick Cave
My Babe Just Cares For Me – Nina Simone
Lady Grinning Soul – David Bowie
As you can tell, I’m a bit of a romantic
6. Favourite film and why?
Well I’ve already mentioned ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’
But I also love the Producers. When I first saw it in the 70s I remember crying with laughter. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are superbly cast. I love the farce and the way the plot pushes the characters into crazier and crazier behaviour. The themes are universal. Imagine two guys deliberately put on a musical that is certain to bomb - ‘Spring Time for Hitler’ a romantic tale of the Third Reich, only it doesn’t bomb, it’s a massive hit. I’m writing this on 9 November 2016. Imagine a country chooses a presidential candidate who cannot possibly be a good president but…..
7. Can you tell us a little bit about your background? What did you do prior to working at Curiouser?
I have been lucky enough to have a few different careers in my life. I have worked in the theatre, in universities and in the NHS. I enjoy the independence of working with Curiouser. It makes a change from big organisations. We can decide about things very quickly and introduce changes without having to consult a committee!
8. What is currently your favourite product at Curiouser?
Well, I always love the prints at Curiouser. I really like the coastal landscapes by artists like Gary Brander and Arie Vardi
9. Describe yourself in one word!
Pessimistically-Optimistic (I cheated)
10. What is your favourite thing to do on a day off?
A long walk on beach or in a forest would be my ideal thing to do.
11. Where is your favourite place to visit in Edinburgh?
There are so many… I think it is hard to beat climbing Arthur’s Seat on a clear day.
12. You’re reincarnated as an animal – what are you?Possibly a greyhound. I would get to lie around most of the day and then go for a sprint and then lie around some more. Although temperamentally, I’m probably more of a beaver, always busy gnawing at trees and constructing untidy dams……